As Good As It Gets

A place where I can voice out my concern about my life, my family, my relationship and everything under the sun, or moon or the entire universe.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Mind Your Language

Tasya was chosen by her Maths's teacher as a standard monitor for the Maths's month. As a monitor, she have to do a presentation for the whole school, and the presentation was in English(as Maths & Science now are taught in English) The presentation was about our body parts.

So,last Sunday she was practising her presentation, and I noticed that the grammar was not right, I corrected her thinking that she was the one that make the mistakes. But last night, she showed me this piece of paper that have her speech and it was written by her teacher, and this how it goes:

"Good morning teachers and friend(apparently, there is only 1 friend on the whole school-but maybe this is a spelling mistake rather than grammar mistake). I won't mind about this that much, but the second paragraph caught my attention and I was shocked at first then I could not help it but laugh my head off.

This is how the rest of her presentation goes:

How many your ears?
How many your eyes?
How many your mouth?
How many your nose?
etc,etc,etc.

I was like, what the heck is going on here?? Showed it to my sister and we laughed and laughed and laughed until tears started coming out from our eyes.

Ok, I understand that Maths and Science teachers are not an English Teacher and they have been teaching those subjects in Malay for maybe 10- 15 years and suddenly Govertment imposed this new thing where Maths & Science are now taught in English but at least have a bit of inciative and checked the grammar part with a proper English teacher. I asked Tasya does she realized that there were mistakes in her presentation? She said Yes, then I asked her why don't you corrected it? Then she said she got the paper 10 minutes before her presentation, and apparently in class when her Maths teacher have any problems with English words, she went and ask Tasya.

Make me wonder about the standard of our education, don't you? Maybe I should write to the ministry and ask them what are they going to do about this?

1 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home