As Good As It Gets

A place where I can voice out my concern about my life, my family, my relationship and everything under the sun, or moon or the entire universe.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Life is a journey, not the destination

Someone send me this poem, title 'the station' few years ago, at that time I deleted the email-without realizing the impact the poem will give me later in life. The poem is about the one person journey in life where the writer missed all the wonderful things that he encounter on his way to the station. When he reached there, only then he realized that he is supposed to enjoy the journey and there is nothing waiting for him at the station.

I only remembered back this poem after watching 'Click'(Adam Sandler) last week. This movie is sort of a wake up call for me. I keep having this question inside my head, is it worth it, the life that we are living now. We are always rushing in life-we forget to stop and smell the roses!! It has become increasingly hard for us to have a work life balance, the employer expects you to work 24/7 for them. They don't really give a damn about your family-if your salary is 4K, they expect you to work double the amount. How many of you have to stay back after 5pm just because this is what the boss expect from you eventhough your heart is screaming wanting to go back to your much neglected family?? But can we actually afford the work life balance??

I have been wanting to quit my job since I gave birth to my first child, and it has been 6 years since that, still here I am working my a** off. Everytime I wanted to just do it, somethings keep playing in my mind-can we actually afford it if I quit my job?? That is the catch, life here in KL is so damn expensive that both of us have to work just to make ends meet. Maybe we can just leave KL and move to another state. I kindda like Terengganu actually, do you know that there is no shopping mall in KT??? Another place that I like is Alor Setar. Both places are much cheaper than KL, but do we dare to have such a drastic changes? Leaving all the things that we like and familiar with?? I like to go to shopping malls, can I leave in KT without the shopping malls? And if I choose Kedah, sometimes I could not really understnd their dialect, can I live there too??

It's realy hard when it comes to this decision right?? You want to spend more time with your family but if this means that you have to struggle financially, are you willing to take the risk??

So, how can we take it easy, and really enjoy the journey when you are caught in this mad rat race...the faster you ran, the more you need to catch it...and what is IT??? I really want to enjoy the journey and I'm afraid that I will regret it when I reach at the station nothing is there for me.

2 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger Yatie Tajudin said...

You are absolutely right. It's really hard to make the decision to be a full time mom. I had no choice coz I had a problematic pregnancy and then Nadiah was premature and before long the company shut down, so that was decided for me. It all depends on Shukri but we do have the advantage of living with my parents and in AS which like you said is cheap. But honestly, sometimes I do wish I have a job to go to. Being at home all the time can be frustrating and boring and depressive sometimes. Lumrah alam.. you're never satisfied with what you have and wish for other people's lives.
I think living in KL you have to be working parents unless your husband is earning more than RM10k. If you do decide to move.. come la to AS. Don't orry about the dialect... that can be learned in time. KT pun sama je, ada dialect jugak and tak de mall plak tu. AS nanti Giant and Tesco dah nak buka so lebih meriah!!

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Yatie Tajudin said...

Alamak... panjang cam blog entry plak!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home